Ouch, one more on LD

From: Kerry
Email: kdykes@hotmail.com

Since I fairly innocently started this mess yesterday I'd like to make a few comments.  Many private e-mails later, some really nice (whether or not our opinions matched) and several absolutely inappropriately flaming - I want to clear something up.

To place first does NOT automatically mean "racing".  My horses completion time was SLOWER than ALL 100 mile (equivalent) winning times I have seen listed. Seven other horses came down to criteria within about 8 minutes of my time.  Contrary to, I think Sylvia's, comments, my horse is not young and inexperienced.  He is a strong, well conditioned 10 year old I've been working with for over 1 1/2 years.  This simply happened to be the first EVENT for him.  I wanted to see how his mind worked in the "competetive" setting and chose the 25 miler, but that is no reason to hold him back and walk him in as some folks did (and in their case, I applaud their choice to do so).

It was a GREAT ride, a beautiful location, good trails, and ride management did a wonderful job --- I'm not criticizing them or anybody else.  Flame me for ego if you must, but  when people asked who came in first (in my past experience, it was generally to congratulate the winner) I would have liked to be able to say, "Yes, my pony did a wonderful job I'm so proud of him".  It wasn't THAT much of a biggie tho.

The unfortunate part is how this thread showed the true arrogance of attitude of some folks who have been fortunate enough to move up already to the longer distances.  How bout we compromise, I can totally agree that "to finish is to win" at all levels --- and we drop all placing recognition at all distances and go only with BC's.