RE: Who pays

Joe Long wrote:

<You're making a common misconception, in that you have it backwards.
Endurance rides don't exist because of the AERC, the AERC exists
because of endurance rides.  There were rides before there was an
AERC, the AERC was formed to be the recordkeeping and sanctioning body
for rides, and if the AERC went out of existence tomorrow the rides
would continue and there would be a new organization.>

There is certainly no doubt that endurance riding existed before AERC.  However, today, we wouldn't have rides in the numbers that we do, in all parts of the country, if it hadn't been for the fact that we are fortunate enough to have a functioning national organization. The standards had to be set for the sport, veterinary criteria established, ride managers trained, and trails established and protected.  These are things that AERC was established to do.  The task of record keeping is really a very minor function in the over all agenda of  the organization.  Certainly  endurance riding would have a much different face today without AERC.

<I don't like to come across as knocking the AERC -- I've been a proud
supporter of the organization for over 20 years.  But I'm someone who
when a friend is wrong, will say so.  The AERC provides a great deal
of valuable services -- TO ITS MEMBERS.  They pay dues for that, as is
proper.  Non-member riders, especially non-member LD riders, DO NOT
receive those services and should not be forced to pay for them.>

Joe, I have fought this battle longer than you, and I am always amazed at how difficult it is to get people to support  their best interest.  Anyone who enjoys any aspect of our modern sport of endurance riding benefits from AERC.  In fact I would say that AERC in most valuable to those who are in the process of discovering endurance riding but have not yet become AERC members.  The fee that is being ask of non member entrants in an endurance event is so small compared to the cost of them having a horse and all the things that it takes for them to get there, that it is ridiculous that there should be so much bitching about it.

Phil Gardner
Past President AERC