Re: trailer horse back

>The rule sez
>
>2.1.5.2 Equines disqualified by the vets must not continue on. This
>               practice by a rider is considered grounds for barring
>that rider
>               from future rides.
>
>To me this means the horse is either trailered back or remains at the
>vet check for the rest of its life.

     Good point but pg 3 of rule book says  "the competitor is totally
responsible for self and mount before, during and after an endurance ride"

    The idea here is to do what is best for the horse. Even in the case of a
lameness, if the trailer ride out, in a strange rickety trailer, over rough
ground, will subject my horse to further damage above and beyond what it
would get walking back to camp by the best, shortest way, then guess what,
I'll walk him back to camp.   If the horse trailers well, the trailer is
suitable etc, then the trailer ride is the option I would chose.
   I once sat at a vet check for 2.5 hours, only 3 miles from camp on flat
roads. The worry was a tendon injury. When the trailer showed it scared my
horse to death. (Rattling, flimsy)   He stomped and kicked and was terrified
all the way back.  Thank goodness it wasn't a tendon injury. He did obtain
further abrasions from the ride back. And I know the impacts and agressive
movements were much worse than the gentle walk would have been.  I could
have walked back in 1 hour and been icing it for the other 1.5 hours. I will
never again go against what I think is best for my horse so as to not ruffle
the rules.
    I think in most cases the vets would be understanding to this type of
discussion. They only want what is best for the horse too.  You just have to
explain your reasons so maybe a better trailer shows up or they agree to the
walk back. If not you make your own choice, better to be judged by 12 then
carried by 6.

Jim Mitchell