Re: RC: Newbie First Wreck Club

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie. I don't know if this wreck counts, but it hurt. Does that count?
It was my first CTR. I was to ride my friends Arab. First of all, he wouldn't
load for me. That should've told me something. A friend who lives 25 min. away
came to help me. Second, it was raining. Third, when I got to the ride some 15
minutes away, I unloaded him and he was very hyper. Another friend who is very
much into endurance for many years suggested I take him for a short ride to
get the ornaryness out of him. (the ride was the next day.) The beginning of
the trail would've taken the wind out of his sails, had I made it up. It was a
killer hill! As I approached the bottom of the hill, I heard a woman calling
her dogs. This was in a National Park. Dogs are to be on leashes, or you get
fined. Anyway, I heard her calling them just over the top of the hill and my
life flashed in front of me. There were 2 whippets. They came over the top,
and ran at us. The horse I was on spun around so fast! I almost fell off, but
tried to turn him (like I've been taught) but he was so scared. The dogs were
under the horse as we were galloping full speed. There was no control, so I
let go. I landed on my left ankle. It broke. I was so mad because I was so
disappointed. Anyway, the horse made it to camp and was captured. He was ok
with bruised feet. I on the other hand was carried. I had 2 pins put in my
ankle. The people with the dogs were very apologetic. They were fined and
their insurance co. paid for everything. This was in June of 1997. Now, it's
1999 and my pins have to be surgically removed this Friday.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Please leave your dogs at home. Thank
You, Deb