Re: psyllium

In a message dated 1/9/99 11:02:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< > If I recall Susan G once wrote that it would take a pound or more of
 > psyllium to actually move the sand out of their systems.  Correct me if I
 > am wrong Susan.

 That's what I was told by Dr. Bray, the nutritionist at Cal Poly, he's
 done much more research into it and I take his word for it. >>

We don't have the chronic problem here as we don't have that sort of sand for
them to feed from, but have had my share of horses come here from sandy areas
and subsequently colic from it.  From what clinical experience I have had with
those, I would have to concur that it takes HUGE doses as mentioned above to
move the darn stuff out, but in those doses, psyllium is pretty effective.
Made me come away with the definite idea that prevention is better, though!

Heidi