Re: Paddling

In a message dated 1/7/99 11:34:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
NBCarson@compuserve.com writes:

<< Your farrier can fix the paddling problem. >>

Not always.  Sometimes it is so much the natural way of going for the horse
that trying to "fix" it can actually make the horse go lame.  One can tone it
down a bit, but sometimes one has to shoe the horse the way he is built.  I
rode a Half-Arab mare like that for years as a kid, and she had HORRID front
end conformation, and paddled so bad that many I see now are relatively
straight by comparison.  She was a VERY successful CTR horse, and also a
pretty good cow horse.  Didn't know about endurance back then, but I rode her
hard 7 days a week, and I don't think she would have batted an eye at a
50-miler.  (Our CTR's were 40, and seemed easier than some of our days on the
cattle range.)

Heidi