Re: Baking Soda/electrolytes

In a message dated 1/3/99 9:13:35 AM Pacific Standard Time, 4horn@home.com
writes:

<< At the DVE ride I saw a person preparing electrolytes for their horse
 and adding baking soda to the mixture. They ended up getting 1st or 2nd
 and Best Condition for that day. I thought sodium bicarbonate was a Big
 NO-NO. I know I've heard the scoop before but I can't remember why. Can
 anyone jar my brain??

 Lauren

Probably wasn't enough to have an effect. If the endurance horse has a
metabolic problem, it's going to be on the side of alkalosis rather that
acidosis. Sodium bicarbonate is a base, neutralizing acid. If, though, the
animal is in alkalosis, then sodium bicarbonate will exacerbate the problem.
The horse probably deserved the Best Condition since the bicarb didn't have an
effect.

ti