Re: Purina products

I did feed Purina Strategy and for various reasons, one being that my horses
simply like a textured feed better and another that the dealer in my town
simply didn't have time to answer my questions about products and my price
inquiries, have switched to Armada feeds.  Their feed is formulated out of
Kentucky Equine Research in Kentucky.   The Purina rep was nice (we trim her
horses' feet) but she was just a young kid and couldn't answer all my
questions.  I didn't appreciate the brush off from the local grain
company...if I am forking over the bucks to pay their salary, I expect
service with a smile.  ANYWAY, to make a long story short, Strategy was OK
but we didn't really need the added fat because we feed oil and most posts on
ridecamp indicated that the higher protein isn't necessarily the best thing
for my endurance horses... we had started feeding it because we could feed it
to any age horse and because, I am ashamed to say, it is sort of a fad around
here with some of the breeders and they were getting a good deal on it.  We
only had 8 horses so except for our first bag free (coupon they gave us) we
had no price break.  It runs about $9 for 50#.  So after consulting with the
nutritionist from Armada (who turned out to be someone I went to high school
with!  Son of my Ag teacher and FFA advisor!), we are back with a basic sweet
feed and their Forti Phase which is VERY complete in vitamins and minerals.
I should not even need to add a biotin supplement now though I think I will
continue with the Opt E Horse, an E supp with lactobacillus critters in
it...we have had good luck with that.  (Anybody else use it that may have
comments about it?)  I do believe that regardless of what we have fed, our
basic beet pulp and oil has been the big plus and though I may try out new
feeds in my effort to achieve the best nutrition for my equine friends, I
doubt that will EVER change!! I am eager and excited to start the riding
season armed with the knowledge I have gained, the changes I have made for
the better for my horses and see how they perform this year!!  They did well
last year, but this year... well... I expect some awesome results.  I have
already seen fantastic changes in their physical appearance as well as their
mental attitudes so I think I will see enormous improvement in performance
this year!!  So... sorry for the rambling and good luck with whatever you may
feed!!!
Maggie
P.S.  I have also switched my dogs and rabbits to Armada feeds.