Cold weather boots; proud flesh

Jerri Larsen wrote:

> I would like some input from experienced cold weather
riders...what brand
> of boots/shoes are preferred... especially if you get
cold toes easily...as
> I do fingers...

I;ve found the Mountain Horse boots with Thinsulate great for cold
weather riding--but they may not be enough below 15 degrees or so--it
would depend on the socks.

And for work in the barn, boots from Cabelas rated to -40 degrees do the
trick--I;ve never had cold feet since I got them.

Another proud flesh remedy--my former vet suggested pickling lime. It's
cheap and it works. Just pat on a healthy film of it daily.

These days I do use a steroid/antibiotic cream from our current vet for
leg injuries once the wound has closed. Can't always get a horse to
stand still while one pats on lots of funny white powder--it depends on
the horse.

Susan Felker
Black Ridge Arabians
felker@swva.net