Re: Se levels

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:34:29 -0700, "Daniel Boyd"
<hoofNfins@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I just had all three of my horses Se levels checks.  My vet says they
> are within normal limits.  Does anyone know what the range is ?
>
> Dawna Bynum-Boyd
> HoofNfins@worldnet.att.net

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Since you didn't indicate what sampling method your veterinarian used,
here's some of the more popular ones:

---------------------------

---Bloodwork:

For selenium, the normal range is 0.09 to 0.30 mg/L concentration
(plasma) in adult horses.  Deficiencies are considered at less than
0.065 mg/L, while an excess may occur at greater than 0.3 mg/L
concentration in plasma.

---Serum selenium concentrations should be at least 0.1 mg/L.

---Tissue biopsies (liver):

Se is in excess when greater than 1.2 mg/kg of WET weight
Deficiency information not listed.

---Urine Analysis:

Not used for selenium.

---Hair Analysis (my personal least favorite 'cause of other mineral
concentrations and potential contamination of the hair sample):

Se content greater than 5 mg/kg may suggest an excess.  Deficiency
information not listed with my references.

------------------------------------

Please keep in mind though that numbers are only one source of
information.  Your veterinarian considers these results in conjunction
with other factors regarding your horse, such as hydration status,
health status, changes in feed/exercise over a period of time, the
mineral's interactions/retention in the body, and many others.  And, if
you (or anyone) needs to address selenium deficiencies, than vitamin E
must also be considered as both work hand-in-hand, even more so with our
hard-working endurance horses.

Hope I was able to help out a bit. As always, references available upon
request.

Kim (and Lee)

Red Horse Technologies