Fwd: Bareback riding -Reply

In a message dated 98-09-29 07:35:02 EDT, BROWN.MARY@epamail.epa.gov writes:

<< Now that the subject has been brought up, how do you all prevent this
 misery?   Everytime I ride, I have a hard time walking for the next few
 days and its not from sore muscles- I got one sore butt.  I ride with a
 Steuban with a fleece seat saver and wear regular sweat pants (which
 aren't too hot and I thought would be good for absorbtion).   So what do
 you all do to prevent dreaded "diaper rash"???

I have been working on this for a long time too..... I ride in tights, even if
I need sweats to go over them for cold rides. This helps alot. Use wide
stirrups, this helps alot.....take Advil before the ride........Drink lots of
Gatorade during the ride, dehydration comes on quietly and will make you more
sore after the ride....Also, I read somewhere that if your butt gets sore,
you're sitting on it too much <g>, two point and keep moving, don't walk your
horse as much. I have found that I and my horse are more sore the longer I
ride, not the farther I ride. Get my drift? It's not the miles that make you
sore, its the hours. This is true for the horse also. Of course, you can't run
the entire ride, you must use good judgement. But one thing I see with newer
riders is they underestimate what the horse can do and take too long to
complete. Also, walk alot after the ride. The more effort and the more tired
you are after the ride, the more you and the horse need to walk.

Leigh PReddySE

---- Begin included message ----
<You will canter a lot, and get to enjoy the sensation of salty horse
sweat bathing a bad case of diaper rash. :-)  Plenty of people use the
synthetic western.  You'll probably be fine.>

Hello all,
Now that the subject has been brought up, how do you all prevent this
misery?   Everytime I ride, I have a hard time walking for the next few
days and its not from sore muscles- I got one sore butt.  I ride with a
Steuban with a fleece seat saver and wear regular sweat pants (which
aren't too hot and I thought would be good for absorbtion).   So what do
you all do to prevent dreaded "diaper rash"???

Mary Brown (and Tsunami)
Morrow Ohio

---- End included message ----