From: Angela C. McGhee <rides2far@juno.com>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Sunday, September 27, 1998 12:51 PM
Subject: Biltmore

Hi All,
Just back from Biltmore, I'll give some quick, scattered details.

50 miler: 61 started, 35 finished (we have very conservative vets and
VERY rocky trails, only know of one treated)

Winner & Best Condition: Karen Clark on Jeb Stuart (Saddlebred)

25 mile 1st to finish & BC Vicki Parker (on a horse)

Sorry, don't know much more about the top 5, Duane Barnett on his
gorgeous new gelding (which Nina Gibson claims is hers) was 6th, right
behind him and looking like a million bucks...Kaboot & me!  I think
Roxanne Ciccone & a girl named Kim (blond on a bay) were 8 & 9. I
actually crossed the finish line 10th, but 3 horses in the top 10 were
pulled for lameness.  It was a rough day for stone bruises, and tight
rump muscles.  Cleon Akins was first HW.  Karen Clark 1st LW, Wes Crowe
1st MW (he dropped a division, not any pounds :-)  Can't remember the FW,
but I think she was 2nd, short girl with dark pony tail..  Nina Gibson
will be posting the full results...this is just for you "late breaking
news" types.

It was hot dusty (upper 80's & humid), and the trail has lots of steep
climbs, which often causes some sore rump muscles in horses not used to
it.  My ride time was 5:28 and that was 7th.

Don't worry about the Florida riders, an awful lot of them knew the BEST
way to weather a hurricane, they just loaded up the horses and went to
the Biltmore (what a shelter).

This ride only has a 25 & 50, and is a benefit for the Mountin' Hopes
Handicapped Riding Program.  They put on a demonstration that was
absolutely precious.  The cutest little 6 year old girl with Cerebral
Palsy practically ran pushing her walker with wheels on it to the
mounting block to get on the 36 year old one eyed, but in excellent
physical condition Palomino QH.  The horse didn't budge.  Once she was on
she never quit beaming the whole time she went through the exercises.
Major choke up for me.

There were a total of about 150 horses there.  The 25 was HUGE.  Bekki
Crippen & Buddy Bullseye finished in 5 1/2 hrs.  She was  VERY proud of
herself because this is the first time she's ridden without an agreement
to "stay with somebody".  It was great.  The markers were really rather
confusing and lots of people got off trail (including me twice, Wes Crowe
swears he did 70 miles), but Bekki & Buddy made it through.  She said she
likes to ride alone, he drinks better. :-)

Angie McGhee (top tenner Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, :-)))

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]