From: Mary Sutliff <mtnriderII@webtv.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Thursday, September 24, 1998 4:45 PM
Subject: Picket lines

Just want to say that picket lines are great however the horses can and
do get badly hurt sometimes.  We have used picket lines for years both
at organized rides and on private pack trips in the mountains.
This summer my gelding was badly injured in a picket line mishap.  We're
not sure how it happened but the noise woke us up, he was loose and had
badly injured his left hind pastern.  Seven weeks later and after a big
vet bill I finally have the go ahead to start riding him again.  This is
a  horse that has been on a picket line for 3 years without a problem