Cosequin/CASS&RITA..THE REAL WINNERS

From: D.Zanot
Email: mrwallet@key-net.net

O.K. color me black if you want but give me credit for saying what others are thinking and not saying.
Cass and Rita were the real winners of the Cosequin Challenge!! On a level playing field the story would have been different.If Rita and Cass lived on the trails and knew them by heart she could have closed her eyes in the dark of night and let him fly those last miles without fear of the unknown.
It must be a bitter sweet victory to win your own ride, ready made for you to win...sorry but that makes me a little ill..Kind of makes the ride cheap in spite of the gobs of cash.
Rita who placed 3 on the old Dominion (Cass's second 100 miler) said that the Ft. Valley trail was even more difficult than the O.D. What an accomplishment for Cass!!!
I have known Tom and Rita for 4 years, and they are fair, honest,fun,REAL people, and they sure are proud of Cass.
When I first met Tom at the Bunner Ridge ride 4 years ago he was riding his first
25 mile ride on Cass and came to ask advice of myself and Loretta Wazelle. He wanted our opinion if Cass was to small for him..Tom is about 6'2' or more and Cass is a small horse..Had to tell him Yes. He coaxed Rita into riding Cass and it has been a success story from then on for all of them.(How did Tom go from endurance rider wannabe to pit crew??<VBG>
The trailer accident happened AFTER  our Elk Valley Ride where Cass & Rita placed 2nd. They were on top of the world going home..Their accident was horrible, and has given me a fear of airbags that can knock a big man like Tom out cold.
The three of them: Tom, Rita, and Cass
are true survivors in more ways than one.
I am so happy for them and wish them the best next season nominating for USA team. Tom and Rita are the kind of people that are a asset to our sport, and a joy to know.