Re: Fw: Re: LD Rules*Response again

Hi Randy,

I really appreciate your response to the issue of LD/endurance rules & the question
as to whether or not LD should even be a part of AERC.  I am trying to get my
out-of-shape self & same- ondition-horse back into some semblance of condition to
return to endurance after a long time away.  I will be making my return at the LD
level for sure.  I have no objection to paying a non-member fee, tho I undoubtedly
will join AERC again shortly.  I am just really glad there is such a thing as LD
rides now.  I referred to "LD"  as a "level" quite deliberatly. I keep seeing this
sport as similar to dressage in that there truly are levels now in
"endurance"/distance riding.  The LD rides could be likened to the lower levels of
dressage.  The 50's to medium levels & the 100's to Grand Prix.  (I am not really
sure where the multi-day rides would fit, never attempted one).  In dressage the
vast majority of people ride the lower levels.  USDF is not "run" by this majority &
I can't see AERC being run by the LD riders either.  Like dressage, most people
riding limited distance rides aspire to the "upper levels" of  "true" endurance
rides, 50+ miles.  It's true that some will stay at the lower level due to
limitations of either horse or rider & some will just prefer not to go beyond that
anyway. Someone wrote that she likes them because she does not end up as sore
afterwards & hey!  There's definitely something to be said for that!  It's super
neat to have a goal & an incentive for that conditioning program & it's fun to go
out there & move along at a faster pace than a mere pleasure ride.  Then there will
always be those to whom winning that 1st place is so important they may stay with LD
rides "forever" winning ride after ride.  There are people we see at training &
first level in dressage, year after year, fantastic scores!  Wow! That's what's
important to them.  Others will be content with "good" scores, some wins perhaps &
moving up the levels.  Even Hilda Gurney brings her young horses up through the
lower levels.   I think seeing lots of LD riders coming in each year is a very
healthy sign & should be encouraged.

I think too that LD riders definitely would like to be a part of AERC.  It is all
one sport, truly.  And we would definitely like to be treated on an equal basis &
with respect.  I would hate to see LD have to form a separate organization & I
definitely don't think they should!  Part of what has attracted many of us to the
sport is the lack of snobbery here.  That it's O.K., regardless of the kind of horse
you ride, saddle you use, & horse trailer you pull up with.  That limited distance
riders are welcome. I hope the sentiment expressed by at least one person that LD
riders should just go away & form a separate organization, doesn't become more
widespread.

Karen