[Fwd: Re: Elevator rides]

---- Begin included message ----
Flemmer, Linda wrote:

> The idea of an elevator ride sounds VERY intrigueing!  I have never
> attended a ride where this was an option.  I would have to dig out the
> rule book to even see what was involved in moving up to the higher
> distance if we felt "good" at 50, etc.
>
> Why aren't these being offered?  Can somebody tell me (& the list!)
> what's up from a ride manager's perspective?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Linda Flemmer

>From my point of view it is not a problem, and it could be done at the
Manzanita Ride (although not this year because it was not sanctioned as
such), but whether this can be done also depends on the course.  Of the
three rides that I manager (Mt. Laguna, Manzanita, and Warner Springs),
only the Manzanita could be an elevator because that is the only one
that the course is the same for the first 25 miles.  The  other problems
would be the added paperwork and also we number our horses based on the
distance that they are doing.  (a 25 miler has #1-99, and 50 milers have
501-599).  It would be a little more confusing keeping track of riders
on the course for the radio people too.  Also, if there are cut-off
times it would be different for 25 milers and 50 milers if they started
at a different times (We usually have over 100 riders so we stagger the
start between the two distances by an hour so the first vet check is not
too crowded) But all these things could be handled.

	Next year Manzanita will be an elevator ride.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego

P.S.  The riders would have to understand that if they elevated to the
longer course, they could not place, but could only receive a
completion.

---- End included message ----