Re: gut sounds

Hi, Tina--

A quiet gut will certainly make me pay extra attention to other parameters,
but if this is a pattern for the horse, and if other parameters are ok, and if
the horse is eating well, I tend to not get too perturbed.  A few
thoughts--are you having gut sounds evaluated when you first come into a hold,
or just before you leave?  I have made it a practice to try to evaluate horses
toward the end of longer holds, and I find that on the whole the gut sounds
are much better, and that a lack of gut sounds is more significant at this
point than when they first come in.  In addition, gut sounds as a rule are
much poorer early in the ride than as the ride progresses.  If you have only
done 50's (especially if they were somewhat fast--under 6 hours) you may find
that your horse's gut sounds pick up considerably as he gets further into a
ride on a 100.  Also, if the horse drinks well, the roughage in the gut serves
as a fluid and electrolyte reservoir, so despite the lack of sounds, yes, I
would still encourage him to eat.  As to lack of fluid in the gut--again,
evaluate the other hydration parameters in view of how well he has been
drinking and judge accordingly.  The lack of motility may also be due to
adrenalin or other factors.  In addition, what is your electrolyte program?  I
see horses who eat and drink well actually shut down because of administration
of electrolytes (had one at my ride a few days ago)--by the same token, many
horses require high levels of administered electrolytes in order to function
properly.  Know your own horse, and experiment a little with this in
situations that are not maximal stress situations.  At any rate, if he
continues to perform well, and if he eats and drinks well and continues to
have other parameters normal, this may just be him.

Heidi Smith, DVM