LD Rides

Louise

    Having "been there, done that" on the Board forever I feel that some of
the facts concerning LD should be reviewed.
   1.  The LD program was initiated some time in the late 1980s.  I'm not sure
of the actual date, but there was a By-law change in 1989 which incorporated
the program as follows."Limited Distance Riding is defined as  an athletic
event in which the same equine and rider  cover a specified course of not less
than 25 miles and not more than 35 miles within a maximum time limit. . . ."
It then states the conditions of veterinary control, completion awards and age
of equines.  The original purpose of LD rides was to give beginning riders an
opportunity to ride under AERC controlled situations, and yes, there was a
great deal of controversy as whether AERC should be involved in anything less
than a "true endurance ride of at least 50 miles."

   2. On March 11, 1990, the following was added to  the AERC rules
1.5.  Limited Distance rides may be offered BUT MUST BE SANCTIONED INTO THE
AERC LIMITED DISTANCE PROGRAM AND HELD IN CONJUNCTION WITH AN AERC SANCTIONED
ENDURANCE RIDE AND MUST BE REGULATED BY AERC RULES AND REGULATIONS with the
following provisos: (In the interest of space I won 't quote them completely.
They cover distance (25-35 miles), age of equines, recording of mileage,
elevation to a higher mileage, veterinary control, meeting of veterinary
criteria for finish, fitness to continue.  The one rule that contradicts
Terre's statement is 1.5.4 "PLACEMENTS AND BEST CONDITION MAY BE GIVEN."

I believe you are actually agreeing with me here.  My point was that LD
rides went from being Mileage only to Races at the same time sanctioning
became mandatory--in order (IMO) to "sell" the rule change to more members.
 In paragraph 1 you refer to COMPLETION awards; rule 1.5.4. indicated a
change from the previous situation.  Is this not true?  Randy Eiland refers
to the first LD program as LDM--Limit Distance mileage.

   "The addition of these rules in 1990 had NOTHING TO DO with the addition
of the non-member fee, as Terre alleges.  A non member fee of $5.00 was
instituted in February of 1994--it was increased to $10 at the midyear meeting
in August of 1995.
At that time limited distance entrants were exempted from the non-member fee."

	I am sure you are right about this--I stand corrected.  I can remember
debate about increased entry fees for LD riders both for mandatory
sanctioning, and for non-member fees; must have run them together in my
mind--it was several years ago.  However, that was then--this is now--and
look where we are!  Mandatory sanctioning of rides less than 25 mile WITH
the $10 non-member fee.

  "It has obviously been the intent  (since 1990) of AERC to bring Limited
Distance rides under the control of AERC."

	Exactly!  Why?  Why is is the intent of A-Endurance-RC to control
non-endurance events?

PS--was looking through some of my old boxes of AERC stuff to try to find a
copy of the old rules and ran across the 1986 yearbook and there you were!
Inducted into the Hall of Fame!  At that time you had been a director for
13 years, and that was 12 years ago.  Your unstinting service on behalf of
this sport leaves me breathless!

Terre

PPs--about "signing" these things; didn't we just have a post on the
dangers of releasing personal information onto the 'Net?  What if Randy
comes after me with an Uzi???