Pituitary Tumors

This is off topic, so please reply privately.

The owners of the farm where my gelding is boarded have questions about
what they can expect with a very sick horse.

Katy is a 25-year-old Saddlebred mare who my friends have had since she was
four.  About five years ago she was diagosed as having a tumor on her
pitutary.  The outward sign was a very long, shaggy coat all year (she has
to be body clipped in the summer), but I do know that various blood tests
have been done.  The vet said that she would probably founder in about five
or six years.

Well, she has now foundered pretty badly up front, and the owners are
agonizing over whether to put her down now or whether (perhaps) she might
have some period of remission when she could again enjoy life as a 24/7
pasture ornament.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

Cindy Eyler
Baltimore MD