Pre-entering rides

Hi Guys,

Had to jump into this one..thanks for opening up the discussion, Mike
Sofen!

As RM of the Florida Endurance Classic rides in recent years..I speak
from experience!  My husband, Founder of the FEC, always insisted that
we have pre-entry and CLOSE the entry early...started this back in '89 /
'90....I argued with him on this "nobody does this in this sport"blah,
blah, blah..
"no one will come", blah, etc.,etc.,"the riders aren't used to this",
and so on.

Well, I finally supported his idea fully last year and we stuck to our
guns to initiate a firm and rider-friendly policy of pre-entry and
a closing date for such, with no post entries...IT WAS THE SANEST THING
I'VE DONE REGARDING MANAGING A RIDE!!!

As a competitor myself, I've done all of the things that drive ride
mgrs. nuts and to exhaustion (and past!) because there was no "rule"
to say that I couldn't (pre-enter,etc.)and well, it's just human nature
to linger and "wait and see" instead of making a binding commitment
with a sizeable entry fee. (We had generous refund policy printed on
our entry form).

What I'VE finally realized as a RM (and try to be much more considerate
of other RMs now), is that managing an event/ride must be done with
the planning in a business-like manner, with attention to a budget,etc.
ahead of time, a plan that takes in scope all of the details and ex-
penses, and a way to make work what you promise to the riders in your
promo/entry form. THIS CANNOT BE DONE ON  GUESS-WORK, HOPING that
X mumber of entries will be forthcoming as you fork out those $$$ for
this and that or make commitments for such.

We do our rides right out of our own pocket...probably the way most
ride-managers do theirs, and have not been smart or business like
ENOUGH to ever come out ahead financially.SOOO, we've agreed that we
can no longer afford to lose a substantial sum doing this, and will
continue to have a pre-entry/closing date for our Florida Endurance
Classic rides....hoping the riders will take a look at a schedule, and
plan ahead and MAKE A COMMITMENT and work toward that commitment.In the
future, maybe more rides will follow suit...I know of only one other in
the SE ..Liberty Run..relatively new ride, that requires full payment
with entry and has their refund policy spelled out (includes Dr's.or
D.V.M statement as prerequisite for refund...the ride is successful).

THERE ARE SOME EXCEPTIONS: There are some "magic" rides out there...
they draw voluminous amounts of entries year after year and a RM can
go to the bank on that! I think (here in the East) of the Biltmore
rides,Million Pines ride to name a couple....but the FEC doesn't fall
into that category...it's a class ride, but the ride calendar is fuller
and fuller and we're a distance away for many....all the more reason to
request a commitment ahead of
time...AND IF WE DON'T MEET OUR BASIC BUDGET BY THE CUT-OFF DATE, we
have  agreed to cancel the ride....by having every entry's phone #,etc.
 at least 10 days before the ride, they can be contacted before they
ever start packing!..And, they will get their entry refunded.

This creates SANITY for the RMs, believe me! You KNOW what's
happenig and HOW TO FINALZE THE PLANNING! The 10 days to a week before
a ride are a roller-coaster ride with not enough hours in the day (are
there EVER?) or ENERGY to carry one through in good shape (fit to con-
tinue?)..FORGET the week before the ride...there isn't  either of
the above, time OR energy, to talk to all the last minute inquirers
wanting to enter, get directions, etc.,etc., etc....there was just a
post from our own Dr. Heidi who stated that if you call her at the last
minute (and the last week before a ride IS the last minute!) you'll get
your call returned at midnight...that's cool, but when does SHE sleep?
(I could tell from one of her recent posts acknowledging that she had
just come home from running her most recent ride, that she was in the
post-ride, ride mgr's. syndrome of auto-pilot. exhaustion...sleep de-
prived and short tempered..she wasn't herself, even if she was in dis-
agreement with AERC on some stuff..(bless you Heidi for all you do!).

Some other enlightening posts remind us that other disciplines and
"hobby" sports are not only more expensive, but are run thoroughly as
a business..because they HAVE to in order to produce the product they
promote (ride, rodeo, dog show, prizes..cash & otherwise, etc.)..speak-
ing of dog shows..a game I've played & suspect many others are/have:
you pay full price up front and in a timely fashion...way ahead so that
the Managers (all professional) can set up the schedule & produce! AND
there are NO refunds...(I'd love to have the $$ I've spent on overnight
ing entries to make a postal or "by midnight of _____ deadline!)

Our wonderful, exciting, addicting sport is young but growing in dim-
ension and scope very, very rapidly. It's expanding and giving more
choices, and I think that's good. But it's a full plate out there, and
thorough planning way in advance is going to become more of the norm, I
believe.

I'm all for  a Ride Manager's Support Group...anyone interested???

FYI..I didn't have a CLUE as to what Ride Mgmt. was all about until
recently...it's pretty scopy..it had me baffled ...all I wanted to do
was RIDE, and still do, but here I  am...thinking I/we can contribute
to the endurance scene.( And we're happy to do so).It's been said be-
for..if you haven't done it (manage a ride/event) it's very hard to
identify with the reason to have a RM's Support Group...so don't worry
if you don't understand..but, if the situation is right, jump into the
barrel and have a go at it....and, make a commitment to yourself to
offer your services, energy & expertise  to the RM of your choice as
often as you are able...(a RM's Support Group would/could share ideas
with others)...just another thought.

This message is sent with love and respect for all who do what we do.

Deena Meyer AERC # 5158
Inverness, Fl.

carlmey@citrus.infi.net
(352)637-4311