LD/Novice

>From: "Nancy Mitts" <mitts_n@hotmail.com>
>To: Ridecamp@endurance.net
>Subject: LD/Novice
>Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:00:54 PDT
>
>The idea of equating Limited Distance to Novice sounds okay if you're
>really just starting. The problem is lots of us ride limited distance
>who are VERY experienced. There are lots of reasons, (limited training
>time, young horses, injury, etc.) And there just aren't enough riders to
>have a division that fits everyone! So we have a 2-size must fit all
>structure.
>Nancy Mitts

I may have phrased it badly, but I feel that NOVICE (just starting out,
green rider, hopefully not too green a horse) is very different from
Limited Distance. And maybe this is the new members, 'grow' category, with
all the blessings of AERC, etc.  I guess in LD room is made for both the
'hot shoes' and the bringer along of green horses, and people who prefer to
go slow, and so on. But the LD category needs to be handled separately from
'endurance'. And consistent, fair rules need to be applied.

There is much to be said for not enough people...there could be a category
per person at that rate. I know what I want from LD, and I'm definitely
past novice. And do endurance. Until this ongoing thread (and seems to crop
up over and over) was raised, I had a pretty good idea what was going on,
regional differences nothwithstanding. Now I'm just plain confused.

Monika, Koko and Ripp