Catoosa

Linda-Catherine,
Catoosa was a disaster that happened in Oklahoma. It was billed as an
AERC Endurance Ride. A large cash purse was offered. The night before
the ride, the veterinary staff was fired, there would be no vetchecks.
The majority of AERC members left & went to Lake Oolagah & put on a real
ride. No horses got in trouble. At Catoosa, several horses died. There
was a lot of bad publicity & I believe a lawsuit. Here in the Central
Region when many in the general public hear "Endurance" it equals
killing horses. We must be very vigilent in monitoring unsanctioned
events that can be confused with endurance. Have you ever heard of
"suicide races"? They are found at some "pleasure riding" type camps.
Several miles of all out racing. No vet controls.
Not all "pleasure riders" want to poke along, that's why they try our
sport! That's why we need to continue limited distance in a manner that
allows them to have fun, but learn the risks & how to take care of a
long distance horse.
Nancy Mitts