Re: endurance horse price

In a message Dr. Smith wrote:

In a message dated 98-09-17 04:58:59 EDT, maphh@cowland.com writes:

<<  IMHO the BLM is doing both the equine population and
 the taxpayer a favor.  >>

note: let me preface this post with the fact that no adopted horse from
the BLM is going to be a bargain. I have a nice little mare being prepped
for the winter rides this season. Her development is much like that of an
arab in terms of growth plate closing rates. This coming year is her
first as a 6 year old and her time to be ridden in 50s. It has taken me
significantly more time and effort to train this horse. $125.00 bucks
really isn't much of a bargain. But what is? Barb heritage range horses
are filled with stamina and desire. In the long run, perhaps dollar for
dollar a domestic bred horse is a better deal. Still the accomplishment
of training a range born horse is something of which to be most proud.

>squeamishness about selling them for slaughter.  Not a good deal for the
>taxpayer at all.  True, it would also not be a good deal to have them
out
>ruining other resources.  I have no objection to people buying these
horses,
>but the taxpayer would be far better served if the whole program was
turned

Just to play devil's advocate. Ruining the resources for which group?
Humans, cattle or local indigenous personnel and wildlife? I really
haven't seen too much in the terms of EIRs that support the 20 plus
thousand horses living in feral circumstances have that great an impact
on the desert's balance. There was a time, but it seems the BLM is doing
it's job. BTW, not that I've done much of a search of public records on
cost breakdowns.

>over to private enterprise (with proper monitoring for humane practices)
and
>the horses were sold for whatever they could get--that way the better
ones go
>to homes, the poorer ones go to slaughter, and there is no cost to the
>taxpayer whatsoever.  It is certainly your perogative to not wish to eat
meat,
>but as a horse lover, I strenously object to prolonging the life of the
>crippled, injured, old, or mentally unstable.  Their lives are
miserable, and
>it is criminal for us to make them continue to suffer because our egos
are
>served by prolonging their lives.

It's one opinion, no matter how well backed by education, that I
personally don't feel is exactly on target. Certainly to a point, but
ladled with a dose of possible personal viewpoint. BLM vet checks are
notoriously quick and sometimes miss major factors. I'd once adopted a
mare the BLM catalog listed as a two year old. When I was able to check
her teeth it was obvious no vet had ever seen them or they couldn't have
listed the age off by  a year.

If an animal isn't adopted they eventually end up at the Horse sanctuary.
The cost to the taxpayer is then small. Once there the horse fends for
his/herself. We probably pay more to wash Air Force One in a year's time.

There have been incidents of corruption within the BLM, but placing the
system in private hands would spell the end of the feral range horse in
North America. Most cattle -lease ranchers using BLM rights would
heartily agree. And if history repeats itself, welcome such a program
with open arms.

Bottom line is that without the adoption program the Barb heritage
mustang wouldn't find it's way to the endurance field. There never would
have been Namoi Tyler and Mustang Lady shaking the endurance world to the
roots on an international level. No Dennis and Sue racking up husband and
wife points on formerly feral horses. Another top ten on a mustang at The
'98 Tevis Cup and to continue I'd just be getting more boring then my
post has already become. :)

I don't think that many unsound horses find their way off the range.
Unfit out there and death is imminent.  Fail a Coggins test off the range
and they'll be destroyed.  If estimations are correct almost a million of
them were out there at the turn of the century. At between 20 and 30
thousand at present it seems to me the system is working rather well. If
saving public grazing land for the Bovine is more in the public interest.
I haven't seen any GAO accounts, but I might guess the feds spend as much
or more on  fish and dozens of other natural resource endeavors as well.

>Next time you wish to comment about grazing leases for pennies, come
with me
>to our family ranch and watch how hard these ranchers work to maintain
those
>resources for the good of us all.

Okay, it's the viewpoint of the cattle people versus the bleeding hearts.
 <VBG> I'm guessing it's another case of BLM grazing land for the cattle
exclusively? I respect your viewpoint. I just don't concur. :)

Tommy Crockett
Owner-Operator of The Crockett Collection
Fine Jewelry and Equine Designs
Weeks-Ft. Churchill, Nevada USA

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]