Re: 1999 Rule Change Proposal

My 2 cents on the subject:

(Caution - Woman Thinker!  I reserve the right to change my mind at any time!)
:-)

The $10 fee for LD riders who are "checking out the sport" may very well
discourage participants, especially at the pleasure ride level (less than 25
miles).  Around here, these pleasure rides are typically $15-20, or $60 for a
weekend of 2 days riding, all meals and a band for entertainment.  They can draw
as many as 150 riders!!!  (Do you want 150 novices to your 75 experienced
endurance riders?)  There are a lot of folks who would object to that extra $10
non-member fee.  Now, once they're hooked & DIMR sets in - charge away!  They
won't know any better!

What about time frames for the short rides?  A lot of "pleasure riders" who are
being exposed to the sport in non-sanctioned distances DO NOT go fast.  They may
take the entire day to mosey along and see how the ride is organized for the LD
and Endurance.  (Trail marking, vet checks, feeling of riding actual, measured
miles)  How would you like to greet a potential future endurance rider with, "I'm
sorry, but you are overtime."?  Just a bit of a turn off.

Do we start a whole new set of rules for "Pleasure Limited Distance" vs Limited
Distance?  Slower speeds?  Vet checks at start & finish only?  Mentor to ride with
like we do for Juniors?  Hey, ride managers - stock up on rule books for these
folks!

Does AERC want to start tracking mileage in 5-15 mile increments?  How short of a
ride should come under the blanket of limited distance?  (We covered 15 miles
leading girlscouts the other day...it was NOT LD or Endurance (although the
leaders had to endure 52 scouts & siblings!))  Are we challenging folks with a
pleasure ride, or is it a mental learning experience?

Lots to think about.  I understand the reasoning for wanting all rides that day to
play by AERC rules when they are sanctioning an event, but we need to look very
carefully at the implications such a change in the bylaws may make.  My initial
instincts were that it was a great idea.  On inspection, I think I've changed my
mind.  I think we need rules to define the gray areas at the same time as we amend
the bylaws.

Linda Flemmer