Re: 1999 LD Rules

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> The whole point of the LD riders
> not having to be members was to let them get started without a lot of
strings
> attached.  I for one still firmly believe that is the right approach.
When
> they're ready for AERC, they'll join.  Time for the BOD to wake up and
smell
> the coffee.
>
> Heidi

I also agree with Heidi on this one.  In our area, where we are lucky to get
20 riders on a 50-miler, ride managers help pay expenses by offering 10-15
mile non-competitive trail rides.  These rides usually are on one of the
shorter endurance loops and cost about $10 to enter.  They are an
opportunity for folks who are too timid to try even a 25-miler to learn
about the sport.  They are also an opportunity for friends and family
members who don't aspire to be endurance riders to see some of the scenery
on their non-endurance horses.  Neither of these groups has any reason to
join AERC or pay high non-member costs to see the trail.  So if AERC insists
on sanctioning the short rides, they simply won't happen.   Holding the
pleasure rides on Sunday would not work because ride management, family,
friends, and vets will want to pack up and go home.  I think this new rule
represents a very significant change for our sport, and it clearly needs
more thought.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net