Ollov Original Shoes

From: Susan
Email: spyne@juno.com

About 12 weeks ago, I wrote ridecamp to
see if anyone had any experience with
these shoes.  No one did and I became the test pilot.  I am now reporting my
experience.  First, let me clarify this has been a bad luck year for me as far as endurance training goes but I still have had enough time and riding to give a pretty good report.  The problems which caused me to try this shoe were: 1- hooves breaking up 2- interference 3-shoes wearing out after
4 weeks and before hoof could grow. The Ollov shoe is steel (can be aluminum) encased in tire rubber.  My farrier theorized the nail heads would not be exposed and would stay tighter in the shoe therefore not interferring.  The hooves would be cushioned from the pounding and would not break so badly.  Well, this has all proven out.  For the first time in the 1 1/2 years I have owned Teekoe, his hoof actually became long enough to need trimming before the shoe had to be replaced.  Better still, I was able to reset this shoe...another first.  Absolutely no interference for 12 weeks.  The rubber is chipping off now and will not see a 3rd reset. The terrain I ride is very rocky.  Another obvious benefit is the way my horse is traveling.  He has increased spring to his gait and truly seems to enjoy these shoes.  They must seem like running in tennis shoes after having always run in flats.  Yes the shoe is expensive, but with such good results, I
do not feel I can go back to a steel shoe.  The brochure boasted increased traction on road while allowing slide.  Amazingly I have found this to be true. The only footing problem I encountered at all was while cantering in a field of
thick grass covered with dew.  He did slide on this surface and we had to reduce to a trot.  Otherwise, no problems not even when the shoe is wet.
Another benefit is dirt and manure do not collect in the hoof.  The brochure claims snow & ice will not either.  I'm sure this is true, however, in North Carolina, I have not had an opportunity to test this.  I definately recommend this shoe.