Re: hindleg bowed tendon

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, sandy lundberg wrote:

> too much enthusiasm. Also I see in "the horse" magazine a new drug
> used for tendon injuries. Bapten- it is supposed to make it heal
> better- not faster, just better. Anybody heard of it or tried
> it??Thanks- sandy

Since it has not yet (or if so, only in the past month) been approved for
general use, it is unliekly that many people (unless they were involved in
the clinnical trials) have used it.

However, the concept is that it SLOWS the healing process so that the
fibers of the tendon can align while healing.  It MUST be used in
conjunction with a strict exercise regime that includes progressive

I do not know if any of the clinical trials have included a "control"
group of horses that were put on the same exercise regime, checkups, etc.
were done to determine if the drug itself was doing anything or if it was
the excercise program.  Until they have done this, I won't be rushing out
to get the drug.

One horse that this stuff was used on is Cavonnier, 1996 Kentucky Derby
runner up who bowed a tendon in the Belmont.  He is just now coming back
to the track.  It is unclear whether he will "get his old form back" or
not.

kat
Orange County, Calif.