Re: horse prices

Hello all,

About 3 weeks into horse shopping I almost posted this question about
prices to Ridecamp.  My mentors in the endurance sport told me they paid
$1500-2000 for their horses (now they have top 10's and BC's).   I
looked at green horses (4-8 years) from $1000-3500 and honestly had
trouble understanding the reason for the price differences (except maybe
among the well-bred, registered mares).

Since the posts, I have a much better understanding of what goes into
breeding a good endurance prospect and have great respect for those who
do it.  I still think a buyer can find a great horse in a lower price
range, but needs to be especially careful about its background (previous
health care, etc.) and regardless of the source, personality and
conformation.

I competed in the hunter/jumpers arena until it was unaffordable.  One
of the most appealing aspects of this sport of endurance is seeing the
diversity of socio-economic status among the riders.  You can drive into
camp in an old stock trailer or a fancy rig; ride in a custom saddle or
inexpensive synthetic tack; no snobbery to be found.  If prices get too
high, only a very select group will be able to participate.  Of course,
having a horse is not cheap and the expense really begins after the
purchase.    It's a fine line...

Happy trails,
Michele