[Fwd: Arabian reputations]

EAMULE@aol.com wrote:

> ...An Arabian can do everything a horse can do and in at
> least one discipline, endurance, often times does it better.

Tee hee.

I was horse camping this weekend with a load of non-arab
people, and my husband and I prayed like mad that Provo
wouldn't let us down and act like one of "them crazy
ay-rabs".

Sure enough, he was as good as gold and behaved impeccably
<phew>.

On one of the days, we rode a 12 mile loop - up from 6200'
to 8000' and back down again. What really made me chuckle
was a comment made by a friend who was riding her saddlebred.
At about the five mile mark, she announced that her horse
was getting tired now - just about the same time I was
thinking: "Cool, Provo's just settling down and starting
to do his job" as he strode up the hill in the lead on
a nice loose rein.

The only drawback I came up against camping with non-arabs,
was that when it poured with rain both afternoons/evenings,
poor Provo was shivering his socks off until we got him
completely blanketed up - whereas the other plump/big-muscled
horses stood around munching.

But then again, they didn't go up that hill like a walk in
the park the way Provo did, either.<g>

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Repotted english person in Sacramento, CA

with Mouse and Provo (who, yesterday, got his first set of
                      back shoes in a year without incident!
                      So patience does pay off - eventually)