Hills and Heart rate

I am a novice rider and have been training with a Heart Rate Monitor.  My mare
is 5 yrs old and has very good recovery rates.  I am concerned about not
pushing her too fast too soon. I was to compete with her for many years to
come and be sucessful.  The last race we went on was our first time in the
starting in the front.  This was our 5th race of theseason, 6th race overall
(all 25 mile rides).  This ride was very hard with many steep ups and downs.
Her basic efficient trot Heart rate was between 120-140 on basically level
ground.  Going Up hill (steep) however her pulse would go  up to 170-190.  We
walked/trotted (half and half) the steep hills. I gave in to her wanting to go
faster when fighting her would raise HR anyway.  I am worried that we went too
fast. However she looks great and recovery HR was excellent. In fact we won
the ride! This was our first win.  I'm concerned that I let her HR get too
high on the hills.  What is normal? Any comments or advise are appreciated.
Thanks,
 Heather Cotterman
cotterman@aol.com