Re: First LD Ride disappointing

In a message dated 98-09-07 14:15:03 EDT, EISENHART@aol.com writes:

<< At
 the finish...are the finish lines usually roped off, or is it common to just
 have horses hand galloping into the finish with people standing around
 watching and other horses being cooled for the final vet check? >>

As a ride manager (and when consulted by other ride managers) I don't rope off
the finish as such (just makes more obstacles to run into), but I try to make
it far enough back from camp that there is a safe runout area in case there is
a hot and heavy race for the finish line.  Another thing that many ride
managers don't take into consideration is the fact that all day long our
horses are told to turn away from lime lines on the ground.  So what do they
do?  Draw a white line across the finish!  Bad idea--have seen more bad wrecks
as horses spook at the white line or veer away from it.  Much better to just
have a visual line between two uprights or some such.

Heidi