Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

Susan,

Most rides are won in the vet checks.

Susan Evans Garlinghouse wrote:

>Are you going to
> tell me that if I'm riding alongside a lwt horse with a HR of 120 bpm,
> and at the same speed, my Hwt horse's HR is 140 bpm, that means the Lwt
> horse has mine beat?

Yes he will probably beat you horse to 64 and beat him in the vet check.

I would be willing to believe that a properly conditioned horse that
runs at 120 will come down faster with the same treatment than a horse
that has to run at 140.  These minutes add up and usually determine the
winner.

Look at horses like Rio and Cash.  They spend very little time
recovering to parameters. That is where a ride is won or lost.

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm