Re: why required weight?

Dear Susan,
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this!!!  As usual, your explanation
makes everything much clearer.  I'm printing this out and adding it to my
"conditioning" folder.  Or maybe I'll just add it to my "dirty rotten sneaky
but still legal tricks I can use to help me get the edge" folder . . .

Trish & pretty David, TNG
Grand Blanc, Michigan

<< >
 > Dear Susan,
 >     So what would the best stratagy for a light or middleweight person be?
 > Same thing?  That is, getting that 100 yd head start?  I guess what I am
 > asking is how would a lightweight rider best use their weight (or lack
 > thereof) to their advantage?
 >
 > Trish & pretty David, TNG
 > Grand Blanc, Michigan

 Probably just not letting the heavyweight get HIS head start.  Use the
 same strategy on the trail.  Push him/her from behind and drive him into
 anaerobic levels---the lightweight horse will also be burning sugars but
 at a slower rate, which should equate to a longer time until fatigue
 (glycogen depletion and lactic acidosis) sets in.  It doesn't have to be
 just at the finish---the more time during the race the Hwt has to spend
 in anaerobic to stay up with/ahead of the Lwt, the more glycogen he's
 expending, and the more lactates are building up.  At some point, that
 gas tank is going to run dry and because the Lwt still has fuel left,
 you'll pass him by.

 But that's only if you make the other horse run on sugars---if you both
 run at submaximal speeds/subanaerobic, your metabolic fuels in both
 cases are going to be primarily fats---and his gas tank will never run
 dry, and the playing field is much more level.

 Susan G >>