Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

In a message dated 98-09-03 09:19:04 EDT, Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< Horse-racing has handicapping...can you imagine the
 problems that would cause for us?   >>

Remember that our sport is aerobic.  The difference in the weight factor is
about 1 to 20; in other words, it takes 20 pounds on an endurance horse to
have the effect of one extra pound on a race horse.  So--weight is a factor,
but not anywhere near what it is on the track.  The breakdown in our weight
divisions is at 25-pound increments--that is a pretty close division if one
thinks about it in terms of its effects on the horses.

Heidi