ridefood survey results (fwd)

A repeat posting, for those who asked:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:20:33 -0600 (CST)
From: Glenda R. Snodgrass <grs@TheNetEffect.com>
To: Ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: ridefood survey results

Okay, gang, here are the ridefood recommendations I received.  Thanks
to all who wrote in!  I picked up some great ideas in compiling this
list; hope it helps others too.

(Remember, I'm an historian & computer nerd, not a nutritionist, and I'm
just repeating what I was told, so usual disclaimers apply <BG>)

First, food tips:

1 -  Eat whatever you usually eat, i.e. if you typically have bacon &
     eggs for breakfast, don't have cold cereal & milk before the ride.
     If you never snack at home, start snacking a week or so before
     the ride.  Nothing upsets a tummy like the unusual.

2 -  Follow the same rules you use for your horse -- try it on a training
     ride first!  Especially things like Power Bars, Gu, etc., which are
     not "normal foods."

3 -  Pay special attention to sweet & salty -- if you're not used to
     eating sugary foods, the Gu and such may make you really sick,
     or give you a sugar high or headache.  Salty foods will make you
     thirsty, so make sure you have plenty of water along.

4 -  Make sure you drink plenty of water at all times, but especially
     when eating salted nuts and things like Power Bars and Gu.  It's
     usually best to avoid fizzy drinks, as the gas can cause serious
     upset and even severe pain in certain cases.

5 -  Think about packaging:  plastic wrappers and such need to be
     brought out.  Two sandwiches stuffed into one Ziploc-type bag
     means less trash, plus you can put other waste into the bag to
     carry out.

Night Before Ride

NO "hotter than fire" enchiladas!  instead, try:

pasta w/salad & bread
pizza
BBQ
chili
steaks & baked potato

Morning Before Ride

pop tarts
cold milk
instant oatmeal or other hot cereal
cold cereal w/milk
yogurt
fresh fruit (bananas, melon)
pancakes
scrambled eggs
grilled bagel w/butter or cream cheese
chocolate-flavored Instant Breakfast made with warm milk (add 1 tsp
     instant coffee for cappucino taste and caffeine boost)
toast with honey or Vegemite
muffins

During Ride/Vet Checks

"meal in a can" like Ensure, SlimFast, Carnation Breakfast Drink, etc.
pop tarts
applesauce mixed with mandarin oranges
granola bar
oranges & grapefruit are easy to carry, but leave sticky hands
Balance complete nutritional food bar - cheaper at Wal-Mart
beef jerky
licorice
peanuts/cashews/honey-roasted peanuts (salt helps in 'lyting yourself)
Gu
Power Gel
     (note:  REI carries a nifty little goo bottle & holster that you can
     velcro to the saddle pommel -- holds several goo packets, so no
     wrappers to mess with on the trail)
Power Bar (hard to eat, especially when cold)
Cliff bar (espress-chocolate cookie, peanut butter, chocolate chip
     peanut)
carrots
apples
peanut butter & jelly sandwich
peanut butter & honey sandwich
saltine crackers & cheese
Ritz crackers w/peanut butter (Ritz bits won't crumble in the
     cantle bag)
Thermo-T
Cytomax
fruit cup
raisins, other dried fruit
tortillas
Fruit Dinosaurs
cinnamon raisin bagels w/strawberry cream cheese -- fits nicely in
     an EasyBoot! (but wrap it in plastic to avoid hoof taste - YUK)
pasta salad
cheese sandwich
Melba toast
hard sourdough pretzels go well in a fannypack
cookies
M&Ms
potato chips, Fritos, Cheetos (high in potassium)
cantelope
watermelon
grapes (you can freeze these to carry on the trail)
trailmix
Cheerios
Rice Krispy Treats
mints/hard candies are good for dry throat

If you can keep things chilled:
tuna salad sandwich
yogurt
pasta salad (no high-fat sauces, as they stick to the roof of your
     mouth when cold)
chilled fruit

Drinks
LOTS of water
Gatorade and other 'lyte drinks
homemade 'lyte drink (Kool-Aid w/60% recommended sugar and add
     about 3/4 tsp horse electrolytes for 1/2 gallon of drink)
Mannatech energy drink
UltraFuel (especially grape flavor doesn't taste salty)
Kool-Aid
lemonade
cold milk
juice
hot soup in a thermos
hot chocolate mix & other powdered drink mixes