Re: Advice wanted for foal

In a message dated 98-09-02 13:01:23 EDT, corky@foothill.net writes:

<< I had a colt that we had to put his mother down when he was two months old.
 realize that it is not the same problem with feeding him every two hours that
 Kathy is having but as far as having him disciplined I was very lucky to have
 maiden mare that was pregnant at the time and  she more or less adopted the
 colt.  The colt was in a pin directly next to the mare, I brought the colt up
 to the barn every night and with in a week or two the mare was going nuts
when
 I took him up.  I decided to put the two together and it worked out great. >>

I have a filly that was orphaned at two months this year, and she has been
adopted by an older dry mare in the herd.  They, too, are doing great, and I
have left her with the herd precisely for this socialization.  I also have a
two-year-old colt that was orphaned at birth, and my hired lady spoiled him
rotten--he is a real handful, thinking that people can be dominated.  He is
stallion quality, and we have a lot of bumps ahead--he is currently living
with a 5-year-old stallion and two other 2-year-olds, which has been very good
for him, and I don't plan to do a lot with him until next year when he can
really have a job to do to occupy his mind.  Then we'll see what happens...

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)