Re: adding rider weight

Derald wrote:

> Hey,
> Have a friend riding the big Challenge Sept. 19th and she needs to
> weight up, any suggestions?  Weighted saddle pads, girths....Help?

Ice cream sundaes and chocolate always do it for me, thanks.  It's kind
of disgusting that anyone should worry about making a minimum weight.
Sigh!

Is it FEI sanctioned?  This seems to make a difference in how the weight
can be carried.  Lots of recent talk re: fishing vests with pockets for
weight.  (If you get off at all, the weight gets off the horse too - ?an
advantage?)  Gel pads are heavy & count towards that weight.  Avoid
heavier stirrups or weights in the stirrups - it will cause sore knees.
Consider a solid vs hollow mouthed bit, a thicker bridle, extra "gear"
(easy boots, pocket knives, etc.)  Have her well hydrated going into the
ride & throughout til the end since there is a limit to how much water
weight you can lose & still stay in the same weight catagory (I think
10%).  (And no stepping in a bucket of water before a final weigh in!!)

Tell her good luck!

Linda Flemmer.