Re: palpating for soreness

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-08-25 16:12:23 EDT, flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu writes:
>
> << If the horse is ticklish & always moves away from your light touch, you may
>  need to ask them to bring their back up between checks. >>
>
> Regarding being "ticklish"--I have often noted that backs that concern me on
> check-in at rides are often accompanied by riders who comment that the horse
> is "ticklish."

Of course you are right Heidi.  I guess I'm thinking about a "virgin" back from a
horse who has not been ridden much/recently.  My ideal would be to learn my
horse's reaction before we ever did any saddle training.  (Still doesn't rule out
back soreness from other injuries or imbalances, but it gibves a nice baseline.)

I had a gelding who was extremely ticklish in the girth area when I stopped riding
him, part way into a ride season.  We gave him time off (approx. one year), and he
was STILL ticklish in the girth area.  It pays to know your own animal.

Linda Flemmer