The passing of Alexander Mackay-Smith

I was just shocked to find this on the Tevis bulletin board.......didn't
know if everyone had heard about it or not....

DATE: August 13, 1998

          We note with great regret the passing of Alexander
Mackay-Smith,
          long-time supporter of Endurance Riding and 1962 Tevis
finisher.
          Alexander died last Sunday, August 9, 1998, and was buried
today.

          Almost no corner of the equestrian world has not been touched
by
          Alexander Mackay-Smith in his very active 95 years. He was a
founder of
          the United States Pony Club, the American Academy of Equine
Artists, the
          National Sporting Library, the Cleveland Bay Society, the
North American
          Riding for the Handicapped Association, the Virginia
Thoroughbred
          association, the American Remount Association, and the Museum
of Hounds
          and Hunting at Morven Park. He was editor of the Chronicle of
the Horse
          for over 25 years, Honorary Trustee of the United States
Cavalry
          Association, and served on the board of numerous equestrian
          organizations. A Master of Foxhounds, he was a pillar of
American
          foxhunting, on which he has written many books.

          Ray Boettger