Re: trailering long distances

From: Brent Seufert
Email: Brent.Seufert@pipe.nova.ca

My 2 cents (canadian :*)

Having previously trailered up to 1000 mi straight through, and having just completed a trip to Nova Scotia from Calgary and return (6000 miles round trip) where we stopped every 4-6 hours, the horses definately benefit from the stops.  After both 3000 mile legs of the journey, the horses jumped out of the trailer ready to go, no indication of stress.  All straight through hauls usually ended up with some evidence of stress.

My guidelines would be:

1.  trailering experience of horse. (lots of miles, no loading problems)
2.  distance to be traveled.
3.  weather conditions (heat/humidity)
4.  consider goals at the end of the haul (compete right away or not)
5.  ensure good condition of trailer - clean, sound, no shakes/vibrations
6.  drive reasonably and considerate to horse. (My personal problem,
     My dodge and gooseneck prefers to cruize at 75 - 80 mph)
7.  even if you don't unload, stop every 4-6 hours. check condition of      horses/trailer/TIRES.  Water and feed horses.  Wait for horses to
     pee.  most horses wont pee when the trailer is moving.
8.  Keep driver(s) FRESH and well rested.

Brent