Nv ride - Silver Springs

>Hey Karen,
>I know you are out there how did the ride in SS go? My horse got hurt so
>I had to cancel at the last minute. Seems as if my whole year is going
>that way. Hope to make the Gdv Gallop. Julie

Hi Julie:

The ride went well. It was hot.  Or at least it felt hot.  The first loop
was nice, it was mostly all hill.  We climbed up for quite a ways, and then
down thru solid rocks, and then up again...then down.  We had one hill that
was steeper than any hill I've ever seen on an endurance ride.  I was a
little surprised to see a hill like that, but we got thru it just fine.
Then we had a half an hour hold and did the second loop which put us back
in camp at 25 miles.  The second loop went out 12.5 miles from Silver
Springs on Hwy 50 East.  15 minute hold, no pulse check.  They had water
but no hay.  Then back on the opposite side of the highway for the last
12.5 miles.  This highway is a 65 MPH zone.  Luckily, our horses dealt with
the traffic well...and even the rude motorcycle riders that practically ran
us over on the trail while they were going full throttle and not even
slowing down.  Who cares if semi trucks are going by.  rrrrr

We took our time and didn't finish the 50 until after 5 p.m.  I took a
junior along who rode Weaver in the 25 and that worked out great because
she was able to ride with us on the first half of our 50.  I'm glad she got
to do the 25 miles that was on a trail.  Her parents probably wouldn't have
been too thrilled to find out I took her 25 miles alongside a highway.
(she's only 13)  The awards were nice though...little trophies with a gold
Arabian horse on them.  Dinner was BBQ beef sandwiches.  The trail was
marked well.  Only one vet.  Camp was filled with goatheads...good thing
the dog didn't go.  We'd just sit a bucket down and it'd be covered in
stickers - I'm still picking them out of stuff!

See you here at our ride in two weeks.  Just got the belt buckles in -
antique brass this year, they are really nice.  Hope to give you one :).

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Rocky, 625 miles
& Weaver, 25 miler :), and no mention of the word 'paddles' <g>
ride apps for Gardnerville Gallop 30/50/50/2-day 100 & R&T:
http://www.greatbasin.net/~sportssaddle/ride