Post Part Two: Immunosupression, Equine Immune Responses

?? Who does what with...

homeopathic remedies, supplements, and VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDATIONS
for keeping one's horse's immune system strong?

Here's a little history on a horse that's been experiencing things
that I think aren't normal for him.
Even though I'm only a backyard horse owner, I keep a written health
journal for Tez, so I don't ever forget what he's been treated for,
when & what happened.

Since I have time on my hands this weekend, I am noodling about the
concept that the horse may not be in optimal immune-system shape.

Arabian Gelding, Purchased at age 4 (1995). Perfect health until
Memorial Day of 1997, then foot injury (nail stick).

05/97: Nail Stick required surgery & 10 months rest to recuperate.
Surgery successful, no post-op complications & horse now sound.  At
injury & follow-up, horse treated first with penicillin (subpar vet
advice), then with SMZTMP for approx. 3 weeks.  After surgery & after
SMZTMP finished, used probiotics and vitamin supplements.  Horse
appears in good health otherwise.

06/97-04/98. Recuperation period. Stall rest graduated to paddock
rest, graduated to pasture turn-out.  Horse gained weight during
winter to "MODERATE TO FLESHY" on Body-Condition Scoring System.

10/97-04/98. Farriers observed two minor hoof abscesses at different
times (not in injured hoof, but in two others) during a warm, wet fall
and winter. Abscesses had not presented any lameness, swelling or
fever and were discovered during routing farrier visits.  Horse not
shod during winter, but trimmed regularly, plus periodic prophy
treatment with Thrush Buster.
DURING 24 MONTHS, 04/97-05/98, HORSE EXPERIENCED NO HOOF ABSCESSES.
Vets & farriers explanations: sometimes it just happens (random event).

Jan - March 1998: Incidents of rain scald; minor lesions responded to
standard treatments; two recurrent bouts, then finished. No vet call
required.  Warm, rainy winter.

04/98-Present: No recurrence of hoof abscesses.

04/98: Swollen sheath.  Yes, he's cleaned on schedule as recommended
by vet.  Vet re-cleaned sheath (cleaned 10 days earlier by me),
diagnosed "skin fold dermatitis" and treated with SMZTMP (note, heavy
duty SMZTMP treatment in 06/97) for three days; plus 'bute and
naquasone to treat inflamation/pain and swelling.
Immediate recovery.

05/98: Just a couple of weeks after the skin fold dermatitis.  Horse
presents with right hind fetlock & hock heat and swelling, 1.5 degrees
fever, obvious lameness & tenderness.  No apparent trauma.
Vet diagnosis: CELLULITIS, a diffuse, subcutaneous infection usually
caused by a nick to the skin (possibly fly-kicking) which introduces
bacteria.
Treatment:  Naxcel injections twice daily for three days.  Vet said
penicillin will not touch it, and SMZTMP isn't as effective as Naxcel.
 Subsequent report: CBC test count 12,000.  Vet extended Naxcel up to
five days.  Vet cautioned may take swelling up to two weeks to
completely go away, and monitor for ANY recurring temperature.  Note:
The vet observed & commented that the horse had recently completed a
short-course of SMZTMP.  QUICK RECOVERY, SWELLING GONE IN LESS THAN
ONE WEEK.  RETURN TO LIGHT WORKOUTS.  Note: Ten days after Tez's
cellulitis, horse at farm next door comes down with even worse case of
cellulitis.

05/98-08/98.  Increased conditioning work-outs & weight beginning to
drop & muscle definition increasing.  Initial competition (25 miles)
08/08/98.

08/20/98: Possible viral rhinitis.  The horse has not shown any
allergic tendencies so far.  Ongoing monitoring.

So, the horse experienced a significant stress event during the summer
of 1997: the surgery, which also came with a ten day hospital rest
stay and transportation out and back (about 6 hours each ways).

Over time (14 months) he has been treated on three separate occasions
with antibiotics.  In each case, the antibiotics were administered
as-prescribed, and full course (no cheating).

IS THERE SOMETHING I SHOULD BE SEEING HERE?

JUST A SERIES OF RANDOM AND UNRELATED EVENTS?

OR, IS THE SKIN-FOLD DERMATITIS, CELLULITIS, AND NOW POSSIBLE RHINITIS
INDICATIVE OF AN IMMUNE SYSTEM PROBLEM?

VET SEZ, IF UPPER RESPIRATORY SYMPTOMS NOT BETTER BY TUESDAY, WE GO
BACK TO ANTIBIOTICS TO TREAT POSSIBLE SECONDARY BACTERIAL INFECTION.
IF THIS TREATMENT IS REQUIRED, THIS WILL BE HIS FOURTH COURSE OF
ANTIBIOTICS WITHIN 14 MONTHS, AND THREE TIMES WITHIN FOUR MONTHS.

Tez has a 25 mile competition coming up September 5th, and so I will
have to make a decision on September 1st whether or not to take him.

Also, I read that the rhinoviruses which cause colds in horses may be
shed in their manure for up to one month after symptoms subside.  If
he gets better and we decide to go to Punxsutawney, am I putting
others at risk?  We do stable separately from other horses, and I do
not permit casual contact with other horses.

Comments?

Thanks, patient readers.
Susie.

Post Script:  If I get some "Keeper" responses, I will compile them
into a single post for archival purposes.
So that when subsequent generations of nervous mommies come looking
for immune system boosters (or just morale boosters), you can refer
them to the Archive!   --SWW.