Re: hunter's bump

In a message dated 98-08-21 13:37:23 EDT, LABUP@aol.com writes:

<< I have to say, I agree with this explanation.  My horse has a hunters bump
 which developed about 6 months ago.  I had the chiropractor out recently and
 said his pelvis is tipped down and out to the right some.  My horse has
always
 been light on the hind end and is a classic over reacher.  He has never
 "slipped" on me but does tend to stumble a lot.

 All of these signs support this explanation over Nancy Lovings "torn
ligament"
 theory, although, the torn ligament might be another symptom/sign of the
 tipped pelvis. >>

I almost never saw hunter's bumps in Arabs until recent years, but with the
insistence in breeding the long-backed, weak-loined horses that are currently
the rage in the Arabian industry, I think we will see them more and more,
along with all the other back pathology we are seeing these days.  Sad, sad.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)