how much heel?, easyboots, beet pulp....

Okay, try as I might I can't find anything wrong with my horse.  I suppose
now that Tevis is over, I have nothing left to stress about.  Life is too
easy.  I can't stand it!!!

So far I've gotten several responses from people about heel length.  Now
I'm really curious.  Would more of you mind measuring the length of your
horses heels for me?  Maybe take a tape measure out to the barn with you
next time?  Obviously there are a million variations and reasons for same,
but aren't some of you curious as to what is about average?  (just humor
me, okay?)

For the person that asked about easy boots.  I figured that my horses have
done about 2500 AERC miles in them so far.  They are shod.  I don't use
easyboots on conditioning rides and they need shoes as much as I ride them
(and as much as they run around on their own).  I have done a couple of
endurance rides with the boots on over bare feet and it worked just fine.
The conditions in the area I live in are just not condusive to having a
horse go barefoot all the time. I have pulled the shoes for the winter and
ridden with easyboots that way.  If you are going to ride in them regularly
there are modifications you can make to make them more comfortable for the
horse.

For Wendy who asked about beet pulp.  My horses did not like it at first
either.  In fact, it was the first thing I've ever put out for them that
they wouldn't even get close enough to look in the bucket.  It took them
several weeks to show any real interest.  Now they really like it.  To make
it more appetizing I will sometimes add a couple of cups of crimped oats
and/or barley to soak with it.  Neither horse still seems that interested
in it at rides, however, they have surprised me once or twice and eaten it.
 Once they start eating it though, it is great because you can add almost
anything to it and they'll still eat it.  I've been using the shredded beat
pulp, and try to soak it for at least six hours before feeding.  On a hot
day you have to be careful...it will get sour real fast.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Rocky...going to the Silver Springs ride Saturday
& Weaver...marking trail on Sunday! (wanna come help?)