Panelists at the Clemson Symposium on Horses and Trails

Regarding the post from Susan Gibson,   it's good to know that most of
the panelists have horsey credentials (with the notable exception of the
IMBA rep. whom I personally know), but then it comes down to, are these
nice panelists going to be setting the policies that govern equestrian
usage of trails all over the nation?  I do *not* feel that there was an
over-reaction at all.
      Don't forget, the feds still have not changed the draft  of the
Yosemite General Management Plan that as currently written will gradually
boot horses out of Yosemite (although in the 1980's they assured us that
equestrians would be "taken care of").  Here in Marin County, the feds
have withdrawn the announced plans to close the three stables in GGNRA
lands, but the discussions have only just begun and we have a LONG way to
go before an agreement keeping those stables open is place.
     For sure, we need lots of equestrian reps. at  ALL trail
conferences, complete with facts.   (The American Horse Council's recent
Dec. '96 economic study on the equine industry's $25 billion GNP sure
opened a lot of eyes.)  We also need to keep a realistic view of the
policy-setting process  that affects user groups.    It takes vigilance
and constant communiction from equestrians to keep the message moving in
the right direction.    And speaking of user groups,  someone recently
posted information about Back Country Horsemen.  I too endorse this
organization and  its chapters.  They do really fine work in representing
equestrians and stock users to many agencies.
   I am REALLY pleased at the response from Ridecampers about attending
the Clemson symposium and the interest shown in the Arizona conference.
BTW, I have just sent a formal request to AERC officers and directors on
establishing a consistent method of replenishing the AERC Trails Fund.
It is this:  that on all future membership applications, whether new or
renewal, there will be a line for a  voluntary, tax-deductible donation
for the Trails Fund.   This will be considered by AERC and voted on,
hopefully in the affirmative.   Watch for it!    Best wishes to all,
Connie Berto (Trails chair, AERC)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]