Re: Is spook proofing possible?

Louise,

You are so right that much of spooking is a reaction to the rider.  I
should have added that when I see a potentially scary item come into
view that I try to pay attention to my breathing (am I holding my breath
or breathing normal?) and did my body just tense up?  If the answer is
yes, I make a conscious effort to relax.  Horses are so sensitive to
what's going on with us.  I also think that horses that are really
needing to be in front are sometimes just picking up excited vibes from
the rider that they interpret to mean go faster.  When my horse was
doing that I learned to stop looking at the horse in front of me and
then my mare relaxed.

Karen Gehringer
Ormond Beach, Fl