Swanton late night

Some thoughts on Swanton late night...

It was very beautiful at the finish line to see these glowsticks
on the breastcollars  come drifting on to the the finish line
with a steady clip-clop of hooves out of the darkness.  Usually
in pairs with the occasional single rider - saying "I got lost
in the dark".  To see the runners just keep on coming - and
saying to myself - "I don't see how they run for 50 miles..."

To see the leaders trying to tie after riding so long together
during the day.  To think of all the effort it takes to put
together a ride like this and all the volunteers who were so
nice and patient during the whole ride...

To the courage and guts it takes to continue riding when you
are in a lot of pain as Kathy was... To think that your horse
was doing so well - as the first thing after breaking your
collarbone...

To the shouts of "Horse coming" at each vet check as crews
waited out at the edge of the VC to give their horses care
as they came in...

And finally to the magnificent animals we have that give
all they have to us in this sport of endurance...

With all the people out there - riders, crew, volunteers,
and ride managers working so hard to finish - that I
can really believe in

"To finish is to Win"

Mike Maul
W/CT Region