Re: Is spook proofing possible?

You'll no doubt get a lot of replies about round pen training or
similar response condtioning techniques. They may work they may not. I
used these techinques on all our horses. They are marvelous, starting
a chain saw next to them doesn't phaze them - as long as they are in
the round pen. Out side in the scarry old wide world only two out of
three are dumb enough to continue to behave as if they are in the
round pen. The third (a mare of course) understands that things are
different and behaves differently, even though she learnt her round
pen lessons quicker than the others.

---guest@endurance.net wrote:

> PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
> You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
> From: Nina Vasiliev
> Email: rmack@inreach.com
>
> Hi there,
>
> I'm the one who fell off during a So, I'm out for the rest of the
year at least.

> I'm looking for ground exercises to keep my horseand me from going
crazy.
> A friend suggested to teach Ramere to spook in place rather than
jumping to the side.
> (Too good to be true?)
> Now Ramere is usually great.
> No reaction to flapping tarps, trucks (and I mean TRUCKS) flying by,
> or dogs barking while charging us.
> Nope, he  spooks at ...rocks?...logs?
> We were walking a flat walk, nothing to get excited about.
> The horse in front of us was calm.
> We had trotted for about 3 miles prior so he wasn't "hot to go."
> The trail was flat and boring.  He jumped to the side without a
warning.
> Then he was fine.  His spooks are always over quickly.
> He will even spook while we're going at speed.
> Then as suddenly, he'll continue to trot along.
>
> My friend said I should teach him to spook in place but I'm not sure
how, or if that's possible.

> Any thoughts, suggestions?
>
> Nina Vasiliev

==