When to stop and eat...

K S Swigart wrote:
> Was there some proscription against keeping your horse at
> Michigan Bluff for longer than the required time?!

I was working at Michigan Bluff and think there were
quite a few "mid-fielders" who stayed longer than
the 15 minute hold, letting their horses munch on bran
or hay.

Admittedly, there were also people who dragged the
horses away with the comment that they could eat
their fill at Foresthill for an hour, in an hour.

An interesting parallel happened during this year's
Iditarod (1000 mile sled dog race across Alaska).

The mushers have to take a 24 hour hold at *some* point
during the race, but it is up to them to choose which
check they do this at (might be an interesting idea for
ride managers to consider on 100 mile rides? ...although
a logistical nightmare for crews).

One guy at the front continued several 100 miles further
than the others before taking his hold - on the basis that
by doing this, his dogs would be better rested for the last
section of trail. He didn't win, but I believe he top-tenned
using this strategy.

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Repotted english person in Sacramento, CA

with Mouse and Provo