re: New Behavior / Backs /etc

>I only got two replies to the back checking.....that yes all backs are
>checked and counted (but no criteria given) and no, we didn't see any
>backs being checked period.  Ok, different perspectives gives us
>different answers!    Management thinks they are doing a good job at
>checking backs, observers don't see these checks being done.

Hi Kimberly:

Re: Tevis & backs:  As a rider I can say that my horses did indeed have his
back checked several times during the ride. (and graded with letter grades
on the vet card - A, B, etc.)  Even at checks when we did not have to
remove tack, I saw vets feeling under the saddle and checking for any
soreness.  Maybe observers don't notice those things because they aren't at
most of the vet checks during the ride?  We had to go thru TWO final vet
thrus after crossing the finish line this year.....practically the only two
checks on the entire ride where my horse and I only got to trot out once! <g>

btw, why should it even be up to the vets to determine if a horse has a
sore back?  This is something that should be pretty obvious to the rider.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Weaver....all a's on his back :) as always
& Rocky.....getting ready for Tevis '99